Cross-compiling through Docker
Frédéric Trouche
2019-10-29 20:15:12 UTC
Hi all,

For information, I tried to integrate a Docker image to cross-compile
Grisbi to Unbuntu 32 & 64-bit.

Check https://github.com/xfred81/grisbi/tree/ubuntu-docker-builds if
you're interested.

Fred -
Ludovic Rousseau
2019-10-30 12:42:55 UTC
Le mar. 29 oct. 2019 à 21:15, Frédéric Trouche <***@linuxtribe.org> a
écrit :> Hi all,

Hello Fred,
For information, I tried to integrate a Docker image to cross-compile Grisbi to Unbuntu 32 & 64-bit.
Check https://github.com/xfred81/grisbi/tree/ubuntu-docker-builds if you're interested.
You compile Grisbi but does not generate .deb packages. Right?

Why do you write "cross-compile"?
You just compile Grisbi for Ubuntu on an Ubuntu system (in a kind of
virtual machine called Docker). Am I missing something?

Bye
Dr. Ludovic Rousseau
Frédéric Trouche
2019-10-30 18:03:59 UTC
écrit :> Hi all,
Hello Fred,
For information, I tried to integrate a Docker image to cross-compile Grisbi to Unbuntu 32 & 64-bit.
Check https://github.com/xfred81/grisbi/tree/ubuntu-docker-builds if you're interested.
You compile Grisbi but does not generate .deb packages. Right?
That's it. It's only about compilation, not packaging for now (yet
packaging could be addressed this way too).
Why do you write "cross-compile"?
You just compile Grisbi for Ubuntu on an Ubuntu system (in a kind of
virtual machine called Docker). Am I missing something?
Indeed, "cross-compile" reflects a quite uncommon situation here, as,
you're right, no cross-compiler has been setup.

Yet, from the Docker's host point-of-view, the Docker's embedded GCC
here compiles to Ubuntu, using Ubuntu's native layout.

Also, thanks to QEMU (32 or 64-bit), we add another "abstraction" on
architecture: a 64-bit OpenSUSE can be used to build 32 & 64-bit
Ubuntu's binaries using *native* related compilers.

This is a kind of cross-compilation, my view.

To clarify it, following combination of QEMU/Docker could be set up,
with straighter relations with classical cross-compiling:

* Embedding a ready-to-use GCC mingw32 cross-compiler on Docker image
and use wine to package Grisbi through NSIS,
* Using native ARM compiler through QEMU to build Linux ARM binaries,
* Maybe, finally, targetting Darwin (not tested, but I tried previous
examples on another project).

Former integrations of Ubuntu were just a kind of PoC, in fact.

Fred -
Bye